The National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) manages practical, applied research that addresses problems identified by practitioners and managers in state departments of transportation (DOTs). NCHRP publishes the research results and delivers implementable products. The benefits from the project findings, however, begin with implementation by state DOTs and other transportation agencies. To ensure that the research products are viable, NCHRP considers implementation throughout the course of a project—from the development of the problem statement to the awarding of the research contract and beyond to the completion of the research.
The Implementation Support Program, part of Moving Research into Practice, has funding of approximately $2 million per year to facilitate implementation of NCHRP research results. Funding requests will be reviewed and approved by NCHRP Panel 20-44, who will also help panels coordinate with other national implementation funding programs, such as Every Day Counts (EDC), Accelerated Innovation Deployment (AID), Transportation Pooled Fund, and others. For more information visit NCHRP Implementation Facilitation Plan 2015-2020.
To apply for implementation funding assistance, please complete the Application Form, attach a copy of the proposed implementation plan, and send both to NCHRP Implementation Program Manager, Sid Mohan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The implementation plan shall include at least the following components:
- Identification of individuals from state DOTs who will participate in the project as early implementers of the research product; these individuals will partner with the contractor team, the project panel, and other relevant stakeholders to form an implementation team;
- Description of the audience(s) or "market(s)" for the research product and a value proposition that clearly articulates the benefits of implementing the results;
- Realistic assessment of impediments and drivers (i.e., Competency, Organization, and Leadership Drivers as described in "NCHRP Active Implementation" available at: http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/docs/NCHRP20-44_ActiveImplementation-TRNews.pdf) to successful implementation of the research product; and
- Targeted activities to achieve the project objective, such as demonstration or pilot projects in host agencies, regional workshops, peer exchanges, development of promotional materials, or the creation and cultivation of a “community of practice”.
Funded Project Activities
- Reformatting of results into AASHTO requirements for review and adoption (Project 12-57)
- Beta testing of pavement design software (Project 1-37A)
- Development of an interactive CD-ROM for updated AASHTO "Redbook" (Project 2-23)
- Q&A period for traffic signal display recommendations (Project 3-54(2))
- Opportunity to conduct second workshop in conjunction with other relevant meeting (Project 24-13)
- Reevaluation of field shear test for QC/QA of HMA (Project 9-18)
- Extension of testing technique from just HMA mix designs to forensic investigations (Project 9-17)
- Validation of materials characterization technologies for modified asphalt binders (Project 9-10)
- Development of recommended specifications for modular bridge joints (Projects 10-52 and 12-40)
- Workshop to facilitate the implementation of results and the production of a primer, NCHRP Report 443 (Project 25-9)
- Production of specialized software for implementing the results (Project 3-52A)
- Two pilot training courses (Project 20-45)
- Production of video in conjunction with NCHRP synthesis on 3-D, 4-D modeling (NCHRP Synthesis 229)
- Specialized outside reviews of final research results on moveable bridges and curved girders (Projects 10-43 and 12-38)
- Conversion of BRIDGIT software to Windows (Project 12-28(2)C)
- Development of a practical guide on Superpave QA/QC (Project 9-7)
- Production of a CD-ROM for a pavement design catalog (Project 1-32)
- Software for evaluating the environmental effects of pavement marking material (Project 4-22)
- On a short-term basis, clearinghouse operations for (1) quality and (2) product evaluations websites (Project 20-7, Task 80)
- Travel for principal investigators to AASHTO meetings to present research results (Various projects)
- Travel support for AASHTO committee members to coordinate the development of specifications recommended by NCHRP (Various projects)
- CEO briefings of program results (Project 20-44E)
- General review and guidance on NCHRP implementation activities (Project 20-44A
- Guidance on software products (Project 20-44B)
- NCHRP exhibit at AASHTO Annual Meeting
- Surveys of completed project panels
- Documentation of success stories
The Implementation Support Program has funded the following tasks. Click on the task number to go to the write-up for each task.