The guide specifications for construction of chip seals, micro surfacing, and fog seals produced in NCHRP Project 14-37, Guide Specifications for the Construction of Chip Seals and Microsurfacing, have been submitted to the AASHTO Committee on Materials and Pavements (COMP) for balloting and approval. These construction guide specifications complement material and design specifications developed through the AASHTO TSP·2 Emulsion Task Force (ETF). These specifications, which are necessary and essential for construction contract documents, are now AASHTO provisional standards:
· MP 27-16 Standard Specification for Materials for Emulsified Asphalt Chip Seals
· PP 82-16 Provisional Standard Practice for Emulsified Asphalt Chip Seal Design
· MP 28-17 Standard Specification for Materials for Micro Surfacing
· PP 83-16 Provisional Standard Practice for Micro Surfacing Design
· MP 33-17 Standard Specification for Materials for Emulsified Asphalt Fog Seal
· PP 88-17 Standard Practice for Emulsified Asphalt Fog Seal Design
The objective of this project is to facilitate the adoption by AASHTO of the guide specifications for construction of chip seals, micro surfacing, and fog seals produced in NCHRP Project 14-37 through a series of phased activities in four areas: information dissemination, outreach, training, and demonstration.
Implementation activities are in progress.