NCHRP 20-44(12) [Final]
Building Capacity for Self-Assessment of Data Effectiveness for Agency Business Needs
[ NCHRP 20-44 (NCHRP Implementation Support Program) ]
| Project Data
||Spy Pond Partners, LLC|
||Frances Harrison and William Duke|
State departments of transportation (DOTs) and partner transportation agencies produce, store, manage, and use substantial amounts of diverse data and information to support their transportation-system performance management, project delivery, asset management, public safety, environmental protection, and other business areas. Periodic assessment of their data’s costs and effectiveness, and management practices in supporting the agency’s business needs is a means for ensuring that their data are relevant, current, reliable, secure, well documented, and available for analysis and decision making; and that duplications of data collection efforts are avoided. NCHRP research produced a guidebook, NCHRP Report 814: Data to Support Transportation Agency Business Needs: A Self-Assessment Guide, to help decision makers and data practitioners to evaluate and improve their data quality and data management practices.
The objectives of this research implementation project were to encourage dissemination and application of the principles and practices presented in NCHRP Report 814: Data to Support Transportation Agency Business Needs: A Self-Assessment Guide by:
- Developing a plan to deliver professional services support for selected agencies undertaking to apply the principles and practices presented in NCHRP Report 814;
- Preparing guidance and communication materials, supplemental to NCHRP Report 814, on preparation for and support of the conduct of a data self-assessment;
- Providing limited assistance to each agency during the data self-assessment; and
- Documenting effective practices of participating agencies that could be transferrable to other agencies for adopting principles and practices for assessing and improving their data adequacy to support agency business needs.
- Final Research Implementation Report is available here.
- Data Management Assessment Framework and Tool Presentation Materials are available here.
- Data Management Consensus Tool (Agency Level) is available here.
- Data Management Individual Assessment Tool (Program Level) is available here.
- Data Value Assessment Framework and Tool Presentation materials are available here.
- Data Value Consensus Building and Action Planning Tool is available here.