Many airport economic impact studies have been completed in the past. These studies are used as one indicator of the growth and sustainability of the aviation industry as a whole, and as key data to demonstrate the importance of an airport, or group of airports, economic growth of a state, region, or county. Currently an economic impact study for an airport or group of airports may not be effectively leveraged to its potential for demonstrating how the airport contributes to economic growth. It would be helpful to have a collection of practices for presenting study results, success stories of the results of sharing economic impact data, and feedback on how studies are received by recipients to both intended and unintended audiences.
OBJECTIVE & AUDIENCE
The objective of this research is to provide information on how airport economic impact studies have been communicated to stakeholders, how the studies has been implemented to achieve objectives, and what the resulting effects were to the agencies and airports included in the studies. The audience for this research are airports and agencies involved with producing and communicating airport economic impact studies.
INFORMATION TO BE GATHERED & TASKS
The following tasks and resulting information will be described in a concise report:
· Review existing literature.
· Document how airport economic impact studies have been communicated to stakeholders, how the studies has been implemented to achieve objectives, and what the resulting effects were to the agencies and airports included in the studies.
· Document the objective and type of study conducted, e.g. airport, regional, and state.
· Document who requested and who conducted the study.
· Document methodologies used in the airport economic impact studies.
· Conduct survey and interviews of a breadth of airports and state aeronautic agencies.
· Provide case studies.
· Describe further research needs to close gaps in knowledge.
Partial Information Sources
ACRP Synthesis 7, Airport Economic Impact Methods and Models, 2008 https://www.trb.org/Publications/Blurbs/157070.aspx
Lenaerts, Bert; Allroggen, Florian; Malina, Robert. The economic impact of aviation: A review on the role of market access. Journal of Air Transport Management, Volume 91, Issue 0, 2021
Minnesota Statewide Airport Economic Impact Study. Jviation, Incorporated; Kramer Aerotek, Incorporated; TKDA; Minnesota Department of Transportation; Federal Aviation Administration, 2019, 152p https://trid.trb.org/view/1692697
Niemeier, Hans-Martin. Is economics good for aviation policy? Some problems in bridging the gap between theory and policy. Journal of Air Transport Management, Volume 96, Issue 0, 2021
Dr. Yi Gao, Purdue University
Rylan Juran, Minnesota Department of Transportation
Bobby Walston, North Carolina Department of Transportation
Marquise McGraw, American University
Liying Gu, ACI-NA
First Panel Meeting: Wednesday, March 15, 2022
Teleconference: Monday, April 25, 2022
Comments Due (Email):
Draft Report Delivered:
Second Panel Meeting: