There are a variety of ways state aviation agencies prioritize, select, and justify projects for funding under state grant programs, determine project, develop statewide CIPs, identify programs for set aside funds, and evaluate projects. State and regional aviation officials would benefit from a comprehensive resource to identify and understand various aspects of planning, managing, and administering state aviation funds. This synthesis is not meant to evaluate or rate any specific state's methodologies, but rather to describe practices, lessons learned, and open issues.
The objective of this synthesis is to document how state aviation agencies prioritize and select aviation projects with the funds available. This includes all state funding sources that contribute to aviation projects. The intended audience for this report is state aviation officials and airport sponsors.
The following tasks will be accomplished and the resulting information will be described in a concise report:
· Review and document pertinent literature
· Attempt to collect the following data from every state and report methods how States:
· Formulate CIPs
· Prioritize projects
· Select projects for funding
· Determine project eligibility
· Identify set aside funds for specific programs (e.g., sustainability, economic development, climate change adaptation, resiliency, cyber security, airport maintenance and operations)
· Analyze and justify aviation investments (e.g., ROI, BCA)
· Evaluate sponsors for funding risk (e.g., past performance, local match, grant assurance compliance, grant drawdown)
· Provide at least five case examples with innovative approaches from geographically distributed states
· Describe block grant funding special circumstances
· Provide appendix materials that display helpful documents/checklists found during data collection.
· Describe any further research needs to close gaps in knowledge.
Partial Information Sources
ACRP Report 44, A Guidebook for the Preservation of Public-Use Airports http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/165624.aspx
ACRP Report 190, Common Performance Metrics for Airport Infrastructure and
Operational Planning http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/178366.aspx
ACRP Project 01-37: Performance Measures for State Aviation Agencies https://apps.trb.org/cmsfeed/TRBNetProjectDisplay.asp?ProjectID=4417
NASAO's State Aviation Funding and Organizational Data Report http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/acrp/Temp/NASAOdata.pdf
Howick, J. L. (2012) Compilation of State Airport Authorizing Legislation. (pp. 108p): Transportation Research Board.
Dillingham, Gerald L. Airport Finance: Information on Funding Sources and Planned Capital Development. U.S. Government Accountability Office, 2015, 79p
Airport Investment Solutions Handbook. Washington State Department of Transportation, 2015, v.p.
Aziz, Riaz A. Assessing Western North Dakota's Present and Future Airport Infrastructures. Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute; North Dakota Aeronautics Commission, 2014, 43p
Cannon, James R; Richey, Franklin D. Practical Applications in Business Aviation Management. Government Institutes, 2011, 320p
Arturo Bujuanda, Modalis Infrastrucutre Partners
John Fuller, University of Iowa
Ryan Gaug, Minnesota Department of Transportation
Scott LeCount, McFarland-Johnson, Inc.
Jennifer Martin, Parrish and Partners, LLC
Catherine Young, Conneticut Airport Authority
Liying Gu, ACI-NA
Cathy Nelmes, FAA
Stephanie Ward, Mead & Hunt
First Panel Meeting: 10/22/2021, via Virtual
Teleconference: 11/23/21, 1PM EDT via Zoom
Workplan Delivered: 12/7/2021
Comments Due (Email): 12/14/2021
Draft Report Delivered: 4/6/2022
Second Panel Meeting: 4/27/2022