The objective of this project is to provide guidelines on use of work zone intrusion mitigation technologies by (1) identifying successful applications of emerging technologies to mitigate work zone intrusions (hereafter, work zone intrusion technologies or WZITs); and (2) developing a technology implementation guidebook that helps transportation agencies select and implement emerging technologies to prevent work zone intrusions, and ultimately improve work zone safety.
1. Conduct literature review of application of WZITs. This task will be accomplished through (1) a systematic literature review; (2) development of a taxonomy for WZIT technology based on use-case and technology type; (3) assessment of technology readiness levels for each type of technology for selected work zone applications.
2. Determine state of the practice for WZIT usage through a survey of state transportation agencies and industry. This task will generate information on the types of WZIT used by STAs and others, the perceived effectiveness of the technologies, and factors that influence successful implementation of WZIT. This information will be collected using a survey questionnaire and verified through interviews in Task 3. The outcomes of Task 1 will inform the development of the survey questionnaire.
3. Identify successful practices through case study analysis of successful WZIT implementations. This task will include (1) selection of case studies; (2) case study data collection and documentation; and (3) development of case study conclusions and implications.
4. Develop a standalone, practice-ready guidebook for WZIT adoption. Development of the guidebook will synthesize the information gained from the studies into actionable insights and guidelines that can be implemented in work zones by STAs and others. This task will also include development of a decision-making tool accompanying the guidebook.
5. Prepare a final research report. The report will describe the research activities, results, and conclusions, along with recommendations for implementation in practice.
STATUS: Research is complete. The final report is pending publication.