Recent advances in automated driving technology have captured the imagination of our society through improvements in safety, ease and accessibility of transportation, and efficiency. Though these technologies offer significant benefits in the future, many advanced ground vehicle technologies (AGVT) implemented on roadways have not yet been applied to airside operations. AGVT airside operations may include driver assistance and automatic collision avoidance, connected vehicle applications, and driving automation.
The benefits of AGVT center on increased safety, efficiency, security, service, and reduced costs. As AGVT technology improves, the opportunity to enhance existing operations will emerge, as will new applications. A current example has been the deployment of automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) data to provide airside situational awareness. These capabilities can be enhanced with geo-fencing to trigger driver notifications or automatic braking for runway incursion avoidance.
Limited research has been done in the area of AGVT for airport applications or how airports can begin to prepare for their integration.
The objective of this research is to prepare a report that identifies and evaluates advanced ground vehicle technology applications for airside operations at airports. After an initial feasibility assessment, it is expected that some of the potential applications will go through a more detailed evaluation that considers the following factors at a minimum:
- Ease of adoption.
- Technological feasibility.
- Stakeholder acceptance.
- Potential benefits.
- Infrastructure and operational impacts.
- Human factors considerations.
The following questions should be addressed in the final report:
- What are the potential applications that airports can expect to come online in the short, medium, and long term?
- What are the enabling technologies and infrastructure needs?
- What are the applications currently in use or about to be online?
- How can the business case be made for these applications?
- What is the process to evaluate and select applications? (The process can be used for future unknown applications and should include risk assessment.)
- Are there any national infrastructure (technology/communication/other) limitations that will need to be addressed?
- What are lessons learned from other deployments?
Status: Research is underway.