The expanding deployment of emerging transportation technologies, including connected vehicles (CVs), automated vehicles (AVs), shared mobility, mobility on demand, and activities associated with smart cities and communities, has increased the need and demand for improved management of associated data. While existing transportation databases have sometimes been curated and analyzed for specific project purposes, improved collaboration is needed to inform state and local agencies of lessons learned and best practices, which often produce ”big data” at magnitudes not previously seen.
To demonstrate and build on these emerging technologies, a wide range of institutions, both public and private, have initiated and invested in major pilot programs. These efforts are also supported by U.S. DOT through several federal initiatives such as the following:
· CV Pilot Deployment Program,
· The Smart City Challenge,
· The Advanced Transportation and Congestion Management Technologies Deployment Program of FHWA
As these efforts continue to expand, the amount and quality of data surrounding the application of emerging technologies is also expanding. In response, an improved collaborative approach to data analytics has the potential to improve our ability to address transportation planning and policy questions critical to informed and effective decision-making at state and local public agencies.
State and local transportation agencies are eager to learn from the experiences of early adopters of changing and emerging transportation technologies. Formulating a framework that establishes specific procedures for identifying, collecting, aggregating, analyzing, and disseminating data should significantly contribute to effective transportation decision-making.
The objectives of this research were the following:
1. To develop a framework for identifying, collecting, aggregating, analyzing, and disseminating data from emerging public and private transportation technologies.
2. To outline a process for using this framework to help decision-makers incorporate data from emerging technologies into transportation planning and policy.
Status: The final report is now available, Report 952 along with additional supporting materials and documentation..