The objective of this research is to provide support services to assist the AASHTO Special Committee on Transportation Security and Emergency Management (SCOTSEM) in accomplishing the goals, objectives, and activities outlined in the SCOTSEM 2017 Work Plan. The scope of these services encompasses the following three tasks, plus any necessary project administration tasks.
TASK 1. Outreach and Stakeholder Engagement
The research team will assist with various stakeholder outreach activities in order to raise the awareness of security, infrastructure protection, emergency management, and transportation resilience topics. Support services provided for in this task may include but are not limited to:
- Identify and recommend opportunities for engagement with external stakeholder groups, events, and activities;
- Develop informational material concerning security, infrastructure protection, or emergency management topics;
- Develop briefing and presentation materials for use by the SCOTSEM Leadership Team.
TASK 2. Research Results Dissemination
The research team will assist with the development of documents outlining activities for disseminating research results into practice. The research team will also assist in the development of research needs and problem statements. Support services provided for in this task may include but are not limited to:
- Synthesizing and curating previous research results, case histories, and recommendations;
- Classification and recommendations of research products to be considered for adoption and/or balloting by the AASHTO community;
- Analyzing trends in system resilience affecting the SCOTSEM mission or identifying new areas of research;
- Drafting Research Problem Statements and Research Synthesis Statements.
TASK 3. Work Plan Implementation
The research team will work with and provide strategic and professional support to the SCOTSEM as it relates to its 2017 Work Plan and Research Program. The research team will provide ad hoc advice and support to the SCOTSEM Leadership Team concerning other AASHTO and TRB initiatives that may influence or be influenced by the SCOTSEM. Key support services carried out under this task may include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the SCOTSEM Leadership Team and AASHTO staff by helping organize, participating in, and reporting on SCOTSEM committee meetings, NCHRP panel meetings, working group calls, the SCOTSEM Annual Conference and other events;
- Assisting in developing SCOTSEM Leadership Team/Technical Working Group/Regional Working Group 2018 Work Plans;
- Drafting the 2017 Annual Performance Assessment and Activity Reports.
STATUS: Complete. Report provided to AASHTO.