Study topics 2-01 and 02 –(merged and renamed to 2-05)
Achieving Airport Compatible Land Uses and Minimizing Hazardous
Obstructions in Navigable Airspace
This legal research digest will summarize the legal issues related to achieving airport compatible land uses and hazardous obstructions in navigable airspace. Subjects will include:
· The difference between federal responsibility for airspace, and state/local responsibility for land use.
· Airport Compatible Land Use Requirements
· Land Use Planning/Zoning [Conventional]
· Eminent Domain [including inverse condemnation]
· Police Power Regulations
· Runway Protection Zones
· Eliminating Hazardous Obstructions Affecting Air Space
· Hazardous Obstruction Defined
This digest summarizes the legal issues discussed above, highlight points of commonality, and analyzes the factors that airport authorities should consider in deciding which methods to use in achieving airport compatible land use and minimizing hazardous obstructions
Status: This has been published as LRD 14: Achieving Airport-Compatible Land Uses and Minimizing Hazardous Obstructions in Navigable Airspace.