Study topics 2-01 and 02 –(merged and renamed and became Study Topic 2-05)
Achieving Airport Compatible Land Uses and Minimizing Hazardous
Obstructions in Navigable Airspace
This legal research digest will summarize the legal issues related to achieving airport compatible land uses and hazardous obstructions in navigable airspace. Subjects will include:
· The difference between federal responsibility for airspace, and state/local responsibility for land use.
· Airport Compatible Land Use Requirements
· Land Use Planning/Zoning [Conventional]
· Eminent Domain [including inverse condemnation]
· Police Power Regulations
· Runway Protection Zones
· Eliminating Hazardous Obstructions Affecting Air Space
· Hazardous Obstruction Defined
This digest will also summarize the legal issues discussed above, highlight any points of commonality, and analyze the factors that airport authorities should consider in deciding which methods to use in achieving airport compatible land use and minimizing hazardous obstructions
Status: The merged project is complete and has been published as LRD 14: Achieving Airport Compatible Land Uses and Minimizing Hazardous Obstructions in Navigable Airspace.