TRB’s National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Synthesis 287: Sleep Deprivation Countermeasures for Motorist Safety concludes that although adequate sleep is the only 100 percent effective "countermeasure" for sleepiness, there are other countermeasures to help make driving safer. Several of the key countermeasures include:
* Education of high-risk populations, the general driving public, and other key groups, such as law enforcement personnel.
* New technologies to detect and warn drowsy drivers.
* Roadway countermeasures such as continuous shoulder rumble strips and other roadway treatments.
* Increased use of rest areas.
* Regulatory and judicial action.
This topic is published at http://www.trb.org/news/blurb_detail.asp?id=2398