The objective of this research was to conduct an objective state of the practice analysis that includes selected states and metropolitan areas that addresses the following questions:
1. Under what circumstances have micro simulation modeling efforts been found to be warranted and cost effective? Identify situations where there is a demonstrated return on investment.
2. In what ways have investing and conducting micro simulation led to better more effective designs and investment decisions?
3. How are states managing the costly data and network enhancements needed for micro simulation and dynamic segmentation modeling?
4. How are states developing, attracting, and retaining staff with the necessary expertise and knowledge to perform and oversee micro simulation modeling efforts?
5. What organizational and/or institutional arrangements have been useful in addressing any or all of the issues identified above?